Saturday, May 16, 2020

Dark Victory

A FILM TO REMEMBER: “DARK VICTORY” (1939) - Scott Anthony - MediumDark Victory
Warner Bros.
April 22, 1939
Drama, Romance
DVD
B-

I've of course heard of this movie for years, but the only Bette Davis movie I think I'd watched in full was All About Eve (which I own).  So it was interesting seeing her relatively young and playing a sweeter character, although with many moods and shades to her personality.  It pretty much is just her movie, with everyone else, even a future president, Clarence the angel, and Bogie*, fading into the background.  I thus found the movie entertaining but can't rate it as high as something with a more balanced cast.  Edmund Goulding directed.

*This is, by the way, the fourth out of five Humphrey Bogart movies I've watched all the way through for this blog.  And I'm sure there will be more.

No comments:

Post a Comment