Saturday, January 16, 2021

Gremlins

Gremlins
Warner Bros.
June 8, 1984
Horror, Comedy
DVD
B-

I didn't see this at the time, when I was sixteen, although I was certainly aware of it of course.  I first watched it maybe seven years ago and liked it more than I expected.  I do have to say, however, that I think that the gremlins are the least interesting aspect, sort of a necessary evil if you will.  I do like the themes of friendship, family, and romance, as well as the deliberately back-lotty small town and the many references to movies.  Now having seen some of the deleted scenes, I better understand, for instance, why Reinhold's character just disappears, but the movie definitely could've been more tightly edited prior to final release.  Still, it remains entertaining.  Chris Columbus wrote and Joe Dante directed.  I've tagged as many people as I can, but it's definitely an "Oh, look!" kind of cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment