Sunday, January 5, 2020

Born to Kill (1947)

Image result for born to kill movie
Born to Kill (1947)
RKO
May 3, 1947
Crime Drama, Romance
DVD
B

This is one of those movies where I don't "like" anyone in it but I found them nonetheless fascinating to watch.  In particular, Claire Trevor as new divorcée Helen Trent manages to convey a wide range of emotions and motivations in one complicated and corrupt woman.  Lawrence Tierney, who was apparently typecast, as Sam Wilde is the more obvious sociopath, while her rottenness takes awhile to fully be exposed, and even then there are hints that she could possibly be redeemed.  (This is based on a book called Deadlier Than the Male, but RKO went with a more ambiguous title.)

I tagged as many people as I recognized (some of them, like Ellen Corby, in tiny roles), but of course I have to mention Esther Howard as Mrs. Kraft, a boozy old dame with a good heart.  Robert Wise did a fine job of directing, although this is very different than Sound of Music and other of his movies I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment