Sunday, August 25, 2019

Alfie (2004)

Image result for Alfie (2004)Alfie (2004)
Paramount
November 5, 2004
Dramedy
DVD
D

First of all, I've never seen the original Michael Caine '60s version, so I'm not judging this as a remake.  Secondly, I knew the protagonist would be an unsympathetic character, not just sleeping around, but leading women on emotionally.  But I didn't know that we would have to endure Law not just narrating but speaking directly to the camera more than to his co-stars, to an extent that would embarrass Groucho.

Charles Shyer directed and co-wrote the update, and he had already done The Affair of the Necklace by this point.  Note that Krakowski's appearance here, as Dorie, predates her role as Jenna on 30 Rock, but that was all I could think about during her "sex in a limo" scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment