Sunday, September 22, 2019

At War with the Army

At War with the Army
Image result for at war with the army beansParamount
January 17, 1951
Comedy
DVD
C

As with Astro Boy, I gave this twenty minutes rather than fifteen, because I really liked Lewis's "The Navy Gets the Gravy But the Army Gets the Beans" song.  Martin's character is much less interesting, except for his habit of mooching cigarettes while tucking one behind his ear.  I guess this is technically a "historical comedy" for its time, since it's set during World War II, but as with Casablanca (which is set before the U.S. joined the war) , the period is close enough.

Hal Walker directed.  Note that I'm not tagging Dan Dayton, who plays the Supply Sergeant, but I recognized his voice since I recently rewatched the 1981 M*A*S*H episode where he plays Fast Freddie Nichols from the USO.

No comments:

Post a Comment